May 22, 2014

Five Travel Insights Over the Years

I have been travelling for quite some time now, and I have to say all of my travels have taught me lessons I never thought I’d learn outside my home. My travels required me to deal with people, extend my patience, appreciate exotic things, learn different cultures, and even deal with inconveniences. But I have learned so much, and this time, I want to share with you several of them.

In your travels, you will have your share of lessons. I don’t want you to learn the same things I did. You will have different experiences, so you will also learn different things.

There are, after all, several beautiful things about travelling aside from the beautiful places that you see and different people you meet. You will also learn good lessons along the way.


An Open Mind

When you’re travelling, it is important that you understand your situation: you’re not at home anymore, so things can be a little different. You will learn to respect people and ways of living. You will learn to appreciate something that’s totally different from what you’re accustomed to.

In my experiences, I never really had a difficult time because I love appreciating different cultures and practices. My wish for you other travellers out there is to have an open mind to other things and possibilities.

Travelling Alone-Not So Bad

I have been on the go for a long time, and most of the time I frolic to other places alone. Don’t be afraid that people think of you as a loser or worse- single. When you are single, embrace it! There’s nothing wrong with taking a hiatus from dating. And travelling alone allows you to do all the things that you want to do in your own time, in your own pace.

Plus, you get to meet a lot of people. My experiences when I travelled with other people limited me to their itineraries. And meeting people got so impossible because I couldn’t get away from them.

Allow Change

You have your itineraries, I know; so do I when I travel. However, when there are changes, when your mood swings, take a leap. Don’t be too textbook-ish. And if you get too tired for the day, don’t rush things. Go back to your hotel room and “reboot”. Don’t hurry too much. Do all the things that you love to do- even if they’re not in your schedule.

You’re on a vacation. You’re free. Don’t do the same things you are used to doing at home. Take a leap. Allow change. I did once, and I’m surprised- until now- how it changed me. I now take risks, and I love me more because of it.

Face the End

No matter how beautiful the sunset is, no matter how comfortable your hotel room is, and no matter how excited you are in the new place, everything must come to an end- your vacation must come to an end. Do not feel so bad that you have to leave. That’s part of the beauty of your trip. According to Shakespeare: parting is such sweet sorrow.

And when you get home, don’t be fixated with your recent trip. Plan for the next, and apply everything that you’ve learned in your latest travels. I have learned to let go the sight of the pyramids or even how my shoes felt when I was walking the bricked streets of Prague. A new place awaits you! New experiences and new lessons are on the horizon.

Limit Your Expectations

I am a person who always has a set of expectations. But I have learned to let go of expectations and held on to hoping for the best. When you plan to travel, you have a paradise setting in your head. That might not be met because your expectations are too idealistic. Learn to live in the real world. So, not to get your high hopes down and trodden, just hope... expect for nothing (and this might sound cliché) but the unexpected.


All the beauty and the lessons you’ll learn along the way will encourage you to travel more. Try the world for yourself; it will surprise you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates